Jacks Peak Park is a public place and that means you and I have the right and obligation to be a part of the process, to inform the decision makers of our thoughts and how we feel, what we want for our park. There are many reasons I’m opposed to a zip line at Jacks Peak. Here are a few of them:
* Jacks Peak Park is the largest stand of native Monterey Pines.
* Raptors and other birds nest in the trees that would potentially be cut down to put in the zip line.
* It’s been proven, human beings need quiet, natural places where there aren’t towers overhead and wildly yelling and excited people whizzing by suspended from wires between those towers as if on an amusement park ride.
* The animals whose home is the park need it to remain as it is.
* We are stewards of this land; and not everything in our world ought to be about money.
If you are opposed to the zip line proposed for Jacks Peak, here are a few VERY important (and easy) things you can do to voice your concern:
* Contact David Lutes of the Monterey County Parks 755-4911 x4911 or email him email@example.com. By making contact you will show your concern as well as receive more information.
* Contact the park commissioners: email firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 5279, Salinas, CA 93915. If you email, ask the clerk to give a copy of your letter to each of the five Monterey County Parks Commissioners. (Each commissioner is appointed by a supervisor. See below.)
* Contact your county supervisor
* Contact supervisor Dave Potter, as Jacks Peak is in his district.
* Write letters to the editor of the Monterey Herald and the Monterey Weekly and the Carmel Pine Cone.
Here’s the contact info for all the above:
County Sup. Distict 1: Fernando Armenta
2 60 W. Market St, Suite 110, Salinas, 93901
4Parks Com: Brian Contreras
County Sup. District 2: Louis Calcagno
PO Box 787, Castroville, 95012
Parks Com: Ken Husby
County Sup. District 3: Simon Salinas
168 W. Alisal, 3rd Floor Salinas, 93901
Parks Com: Ed Fischer
County Sup. District 4: Jane Parker
2616 1st Avenue, Marina, 93933
Parks Com: Roger Soell
County Sup. District 5: DavePotter
P.O. Box 1324, Monterey, 93942
Parks Com: Joe Hertlein